In the midst of the turmoil surrounding the Cleveland Cavaliers, there’s still some success among the individual players.
Last week, Lebron James was named the leading vote getter and one of the team captains for the new All-Star Game format. James along with Steph Curry will be picking teams among the other players who were voted in as a starter for their respective conference and reserves who were voted in by the coaches.
James will not be the only player representing Cleveland in Los Angeles on All-Star Weekend.
Kevin Love was named an All-Star reserve on Tuesday night and will be in the pool of players that James and Curry can select from when they draft teams later this week and will be announced on Thursday night.
Joining him as All-Star reserves are:
- Pacers guard Victor Oladipo
- Celtics center Al Horford
- Knicks forward Kristaps Porzingis
- Wizards guards John Wall & Bradley Beal
- Raptors guard Kyle Lowry
- Timberwolves center Karl Anthony-Towns and guard Jimmy Butler
- Warriors guard Klay Thompson and forward Draymond Green
- Spurs center LaMarcus Aldridge
- Blazers guard Damian Lillard
- Thunder guard Russell Westbrook
They join the players pool which already included
- Pelicans center DeMarcus Cousins and forward Anthony Davis
- Warriors forward Kevin Durant
- Rockets guard James Harden
- Celtics guard Kyrie Irving
- Raptors guard DeMar DeRozan
- Bucks forward Giannis Antetokounmpo
- 76ers center Joel Embiid
This will be Love’s fifth selection to the All-Star Game since being drafted 5th overall in the 2008 draft. He was selected last year but didn’t play due to a knee injury which required surgery.
Lost in all the chaos surrounding the organization is how well Love was playing during the beginning of the season before this recent struggle by the Cavs. In 44 games this season, Love is averaging 18.6 points and 9.4 rebounds per game. He also has 24 double doubles.
He’s shooting 45.9% from the field and 40.1% from three point distance which are both his best percentages during his four years with Cleveland.
With that high three point percentage, Love has also been invited to participate in the Three-Point Shootout but it’s unknown if he’ll participate.