Here’s some news and notes from the day
Garrett limited in practice
Head coach Hue Jackson told reporters following Wednesday’s practice that defensive end Myles Garrett was limited with an ankle injury.
Jackson said it happened during practice and that he “went as long as he could” before stopping. It was his right ankle, not the left that bothered him at Texas A&M.
He’ll be evaluated for the rest of the week according to Jackson.
Shelton and Bitonio return to practice, Thomas with veteran day off
Defensive tackle Danny Shelton and left guard Joel Bitonio were among the Browns who returned to the practice field on Wednesday after being sidelined with injuries.
Fullback Danny Vitale and defensive end Nate Orchard also returned.
All four were limited but Coach Jackson told reporters he expects them all to be available for Sunday’s season opener against Pittsburgh.
Left tackle Joe Thomas got his usual veteran’s day off which has become accustom over the last several years.
Kizer, Garrett speak to media
- Says it’s a dream come true to make his first start in first NFL game but once the coin is flipped, it’s time to get to business.
- Has a lot of respect for Joe Haden but says when it’s needed, they’ll go after him.
- No problem handing off the ball to running backs, says he threw the ball 8 times a game his junior year of high school.
- The comparisons drawn to Roethlisberger are “weird” to Kizer, said Ben was in the NFL when Kizer was in the 6th grade
- Grew up watching Ben but when game starts, he’s officially the enemy.
- Stands by his comments that he wants to take Roethlisberger down. “Shouldn’t be scared to take anybody down.”
- Knows the Steelers will come after him but they need to know there’s other guys on the defensive line to pay attention to.
- Didn’t realize how big the rivalry between Cleveland and Pittsburgh is.
- Wants to make a diffeeence on Sunday, whether it’s a sack, tackle for loss or disruption.
Haden speaks to media
Former Browns cornerback now with the Steelers Joe Haden spoke to the Cleveland media on conference call on Wednesday afternoon.
- Started it off by saying it was weird speaking to the Cleveland media this way.
- Going to Pittsburgh had nothing to do with sticking it to Cleveland.
- Was asked by management to restructure contract, likely to do with money and performance.
- He’ll still be around Cleveland to see Cavaliers games and his shoe store downtown.
- Expects to be targeted every time he’s on the field this Sunday.
Stribling signed to practice squad
Undrafted free agent cornerback Channing Stribling was signed to the Browns practice squad on Wednesday. The former Michigan corner spent all offseason with Cleveland before being cut last Friday.
This now has the Browns practice squad at a full capacity of ten players.
If you look on the field this Sunday and notice safety Derrick Kindred and cornerback Jason McCourty have new numbers, you aren’t seeing things.
Kindred switched from 30 to 26 while McCourty switched from 35 to 30.
[…] I wrote earlier in the Browns notes recapping the day, Myles Garrett suffered an injury to his ankle during […]