The Browns made some roster moves on Monday evening
- The team claimed rookie offensive tackle Zach Banner off waivers. Banner (6’9, 358 pounds) was a fourth round pick in this year’s NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts but was waived by them on Sunday. Banner started in 38 of his 40 career games at USC
- To make room for Banner, the team placed Rod Johnson on injured reserve. Johnson suffered a knee injury last Thursday in the preseason finale against Chicago and NFL Network reported that he suffered a sprained MCL and a meniscus injury.
- The team also released safety Ed Reynolds from injured reserve. Reynolds suffered an MCL injury early in training camp.
The team also added two more players to the practice squad, bringing their total to six.
- LB B.J. Bello who was with the team during training camp and the preseason.
- OL Travis Averill who was undrafted in the 2017 NFL Draft and spent training camp with the Atlanta Falcons. Averill is listed as a center on his Atlanta Falcons bio.
- Although it wasn’t reported by the team, undrafted safety Kai Nacua tweeted out he was staying in Cleveland, more than likely signing with the practice squad
Hue Jackson on having four quarterbacks
Coach Jackson addressed the media on Monday and one reporter asked him about having four quarterbacks on the roster.
“I think the most important thing is obviously we still have some young players and here is a chance to see another potential player (QB Josh Woodrum) who has some characteristics that we like. I think it will be temporary. I think we are taking a look-see at a guy. How it is all going to unfold, I don’t know. We will get to that here, I am sure, by the end of the week.”
Jackson obviously is still unsure about the quarterback depth behind starter DeShone Kizer and wants to see what Woodrum can bring to this team before making a final decision on Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan.
Sashi Brown also could be still trying to find a home for one of those twos via a trade to get something valuable out of them instead of just waiving them outright. However, if teams know they’ll get rid of Kessler or Hogan then they won’t give the Browns a draft pick.
Browns elect team captains
Coach Jackson also announced the team captains for the 2017 season which were voted upon by the players
- OT Joe Thomas
- LB Christian Kirksey
- LB Jamie Collins
- CB Jamar Taylor
- P Britton Colquitt
Categories: Cleveland Browns